Latest data from the NCAS Capel Dewi Atmospheric Observatory
This page provides access to plots of the latest 24 hours' worth of data from instruments operated at the National Centre for Atmospheric Science (NCAS) Capel Dewi Atmospheric Observatory (CDAO).
Note that this page might cease to exist beyond early 2023. Use the main NERC MSTRF website instead.
- The NCAS CDAO was formerly know as the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Mesosphere-Stratosphere-Troposphere (MST) Radar Facility
- It is located at 52.42°N, -4.01°E, which is approximately 6 km inland from the coastal town of Aberystwyth in west Wales (UK)
- The plots of MST Radar and LD40 data are updated every 10 minutes. The plots of
data from other instruments are updated less frequently.
- The data shown have not undergone final quality control checks
- The data are typically made openly accessible (after final quality control checks have been made) on the day following acquisition
- Further details about the NCAS CDAO, its instruments, and how to access the data can be found at the Atmospheric Measurement & Observation Facility (AMOF) website
The plots were last updated at 2023-12-09 12:31 Local Time.
Note that the colour scheme used for the MST Radar and LD40 data plots was changed on 6th November 2022. This is to allow a colour-blind-friendly colour scheme to be trialled.
46.5 MHz MST Radar, ST mode (approximate altitude range 2 - 20 km)
46.5 MHz MST Radar, M mode (approximate altitude range 57 - 93 km)
1064 nm Lufft CHM15k laser ceilometer (approximate altitude range 0 - 4 km)
855 nm Vaisala LD40 laser ceilometer (approximate altitude range 0 - 13 km)
1290 MHz Radar Wind Profiler, low mode (approximate altitude range 0 - 3 km)
1290 MHz Radar Wind Profiler, high mode (approximate altitude range
0 - 7 km)